Friday, June 7, 2013

here's the story, morning glory

Better late than never? I seem to be saying that a lot in my life lately. And I hate being late.

Once upon a time I got engaged to a heck of a guy. And I was asked to tell the story, and I told it over, and over, and over again. And loved it every single time. So, I am writing it one more time (per request, and per my heart craving a sappy love story this Friday afternoon.)

Clay and I met long, long ago in a land not too far away when we were 17 years old. He went to University of Washington and I went to what was Utah Valley State College at the time. When we were 18, he came to visit me over his spring break. He took me to a gorgeous lookout spot above his Grandpa's house, and I was convinced he would make a move then. Only to find out, no, no he would not be making a move. So feeling a bit disappointed, I walked off that hill, determined to kiss him that night. We went back to his sisters house and before I left that night, we had our first kiss... in the kitchen. I love food, and I love him. So really, we're winning all around.

Fast forward 8 years. We are 25.

July 2012, we start dating again.
September 2012, we become bf/ gf. (ohhhh my gosh you guys!!!)
April 9, 2013, we break up.
April 11, 2013, I flee to CA for the weekend for a much needed hug from Mom and Dad.
April 17, 2013, Clay tells me he needs to see me.

So naturally, when he shows up- I am probably not the nicest person in the world. I know, I know, you are wondering if that is even possible. In my mind, I thought I was being a real jerk by not hugging him as tightly as usual. (Burn. That got him, for sure.) My roomies were home and after a cordial head nod between the 3 of them, Clay asked if I wanted to "go somewhere." Really, I didn't think much of it. I assumed he wanted privacy and since my roommates were home, that wasn't exactly conducive to a chat. We started driving toward his Grandpa's house. I didn't even let myself think anything of it, until he pulled up that street. And my first thought was "This is the ONLY sentimental place for me in this whole state. If he is taking me up here to break up with me more, I am going to be ticked."

He parks the car at the base of the hill and prompts me to get out of the car.

So with sweaty hands intertwined, we take the stroll to the best view of the city.

I ask him what he wants to talk about, and he says nothing.

I ask him how the week was being apart, annnnnd, he says nothing.

Then- he says something!!! He says... "I guess I don't have that much to say." (Ya think??) I was so irritated. And just when I was going Jack and Jill him down the hill, he pulls a box out of his pocket. I freeeeaked out. He is saying cute nice things and I am making a fool of myself jumping around with eyes covered, repeatedly saying "What are you doing? What are you doing? Are you being serious? Oh my gosh, no. This isn't real." And when I chilled for .2 seconds to open my eyes, he was down on one knee.

When I remembered I had to answer him, I said yes (duh.) He stood up, and we kissed. On the cheek. And the hand. We don't kiss on the mouth. Gross. And he said "Crap! I had something else I wanted to say!" And I so graciously told him he could have a redo... And he said the best thing I have ever heard in my whole life.

"I missed an opportunity on this hill with you before, and I don't want to miss an opportunity with you ever again."

He wins. He always does.

if you think this was taken when we were 17 the week that we met, you'd be oh so right.
a 2005 signature kissy face. no resisting that.

1 comment: