Wednesday, May 8, 2013

hustle and bustle

This morning I sat inside the airport for 10 minutes while I waited for my sister and Afton to meet me in baggage claim. As I waited for them, I caught myself doing one of my ultimate favorite things to do: people watch. I started questioning why I don't just come to the airport and sit more often. There was so much going and so many people speedily walking, grumpily talking, and frantically trying to get through security. It gave my stressed week a sense of calm... and made me feel like, for even just a few minutes, my life was calm in comparison.

And yet, while I was sitting there and small talking with the lady reading some book next to me, and pretending to give me time of day-- I noticed one main thing. No matter what, every single time, each person standing in the baggage claim area was elated to see the person for whom they were waiting. They stood there and eagerly waited for them to walk, skip, or run through the fancy little tunnel between travel and home.

The 17 year old teenage girl practically jumped into the arms of a boy I assume (and hope) was her boyfriend. (Maybe it was neither, but they were so giddy to see each other, and that's all that mattered to me.) The business man on the phone with starbucks coffee in hand hung up quickly when he needed to chest bump and sweet bro shake the music artist upon arrival. The nice lady next to me finally put down her book when a 3 year old Batman and 5 year old Superman ran toward her with open arms.

I got emotional! So sue me.

There are good people in the world. And people who love each other. And that feels really nice to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment